About Me

My photo

"You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world." (Matthew 5:14-16 The Message)  I am a self-taught artist born in Houston, Texas.  Creativity and artistry have been a mainstay for me, keeping me sane in an insane world.  I worked for the Texas Dept. of Criminal Justice for over two decades until 2010, when I decided to transition to art full-time.  I am a multi-dimensional artist who loves the challenge of a new creative venture, always curious, always learning.  Pieces of my art have been published in the late Fiber Arts Magazine and in FiberArts Design Book IV.  I love what I do and I do what I love and I hope to share my creative vision, insight and creative light with those who are interested.

Monday, October 12, 2015

Childhood Influence

When I was a small child,  my dad sold encyclopedias and similar books door-to-door.  In one book titled, The Book of Knowledge, there was a picture of Henri Rousseau's painting, The Sleeping Gypsy.  This painting had a haunting, mysterious effect on my child's imagination.  I was both intrigued and somewhat fearful of what this image held.  Fearful because the lion was so close to the vulnerable, sleeping figure.  Intrigued because the sleeping figure slept unaware of what was lurking right beside her.  It seemed like a moment suspended in time.  Will the lion devour her?  Will the woman awaken?  What would she feel if she awoke to find a lion breathing over her?  The suspense that I experienced studying this painting has always haunted me and remained with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment